Moving day is exciting, but there’s a lot to do and it can also be stressful. A big part of any move is packing, no matter how much you detest it! Hiring a full service moving company can take that unpleasant task off your hands and let you focus on more important things. At American Moving and Storage our team members have the experience, equipment and capability to get you packed up and moved quickly and efficiently. You can be confident that everything is packed and handled with care for you. But if you do decide to DIY the packing phase of your next move, use these 5 useful packing tips for a smoother moving experience.
1. Sort Your Belongings
Take inventory of everything you own. Go through your belongings and decide what you really need and want to keep. Get rid of things you don’t want by having a garage sale or donating them to a local charity. There is no point in paying a local mover to move possessions you don’t want or need.
2. Organize Your Belongings
Group things into categories to make packing easier and faster. Group household items by room and personal items such as clothes, shoes,
jewelry and toiletries separately. If you have a large family, helpful packing tips include personalization:
- Designate names on the boxes so they can be moved into appropriate rooms.
- Color code boxes and assign each family member a different color so each person can look for their color on the boxes.
3. Gather Moving Supplies
Visit a local mover that has sturdy, quality boxes in various sizes and get enough boxes to start packing. You may have to make several trips for additional boxes as things get packed. Pick up additional moving supplies like packing tape, bubble wrap, labels, markers and other items to make packing easier.
4. Start Packing
- Pack things that aren’t used or needed first.
- Use the right size box. Small boxes are best for heavy things like books.
- Don’t leave empty space in boxes so things will move. Pad spaces with newspaper or packing.
- Pack liquid toiletries and medications in leak-proof bags or containers.
- If boxes need to be kept in an upright position, label boxes with an up side.
5. Fragile and Valuable Items
Pack fragile items like china, crystal, and accessories carefully. Use moving supplies like bubble wrap to protect items from damage. Label boxes fragile on all sides. Valuable electronics like computers, printers, scanners, and cable boxes should be well padded for protection. Tape any loose cords to the equipment.
Find Out How American Moving and Storage Can Help You
Whether you need to move your home or business across town or across the country, American Moving and Storage’s team of qualified professionals are here to provide you with affordable relocation solutions and storage options that meet your specific needs. Find out how we can we help you. Call us today at 912-401-0362.