More than 35 million Americans move each year. For the majority of those moves treasured possessions, personal property, and other valuables will be loaded onto the moving truck of a full service mover like American Moving and Storage. While most moves go smoothly, articles can sometimes be lost or damaged during the move.
A mover is liable for the value of the goods you ask them to transport. There are, however, different levels of liability. The level you choose will determine the type and amount of reimbursement you will receive if an item is lost or damaged. To assist you in making the right choice for you, the two different levels of liability are explained below.
Full Value Protection
Under Full Value Protection, a mover is liable for the replacement value of lost or damaged goods in your entire shipment. This is the more comprehensive plan available for the protection of your belongings. If any article is lost, destroyed or damaged while in a mover’s custody, the mover will, at its discretion, offer to do one of the following for each item:
- Repair the item
- Replace with a similar item
- Make a cash settlement for the cost of the repair or the current market replacement value
The most economical protection available is Released Value, however, the protection is minimal. Under this option, compensation is determined according to the weight of the item, not its actual value. With Released Value the mover assumes liability for no more than 60 cents per pound per article.
You also have the option of purchasing insurance from a third-party insurance company.
After deciding which level of liability best meets your needs, you need to keep in mind that some of your actions may limit your mover’s liability. These include:
- Packing perishable, dangerous or hazardous materials in your household goods without your mover’s knowledge.
- Packing your own boxes. You may consider packing your own household goods articles to reduce your costs, but if the articles you pack are damaged, it may be more difficult to establish your claim against the mover for the boxes you pack.
- Choosing Released Value coverage when your household goods are valued at more than 60 cents per pound per article.
- Failing to notify your mover in writing about articles of extraordinary value.
Choose American Moving and Storage for your Move
Whether you need to move your home or business across town or across the country, American Moving and Storage’s team of qualified professionals are here to provide you with affordable relocation solutions and storage options that meet your specific needs. Find out how we can we help you. Call us today at 912-401-0362.