Efficient, organized packing is crucial for a smooth move. Properly wrapping, padding, boxing and crating your belongings will ensure your items arrive to their final destination in the best condition. Packing can seem daunting, as you look at the years of accumulated memories and belongings and if you want to distract yourself from packing, you can easily find something else that you’d rather be doing. Here are some easy tricks to keep you focused and motivated while packing.
Divide and Conquer: Keep, Sell, Trash
Devise a plan for what you’re going to do with items you decided not to pack. There will likely be things you find hard to place in any of those categories. Organizing and planning will make packing, selling or trashing items that much easier. Here is a step by step guide for going through your items.
- Pack one room at a time.
- Create three piles for your belongings: keep, sell, and trash.
- If you haven’t used an item for over a year, consider selling or trashing.
- Leave each pile until you are complete with that room.
- Pack all your ‘keep’ items.
- Create a plan for your ‘sell’ items.
- Place all ‘trash items’ in a trash bag or donation box.
Organize by Room
Develop a way to label your packing material on a per-room basis. Knowing what room your items came from will not only make packing more efficient, it will also ease the stress of unpacking at your destination. Be a bit more creative than just writing the name of the room in the same black marker on each box. Here are some great ideas for organization:
- Consider using a set of Sharpies in different colors and assign a color to each room.
- Print out large stickers to place on boxes instead of black marker.
No matter how hard you try, boxes from different parts of the home will get mixed up during the moving process. Having this organization will ensure you won’t be left to wonder what’s in a box or where it goes. It also makes packing easy, as you can pack one room at a time.
Enjoy Hands-Free, Non-Sedentary Distractions
Packing can become repetitive after a while, leading to boredom that slows the process. Don’t let this become demotivating. Here are some great tips for enjoying your packing process just a bit more:
- Engage in an activity that doesn’t require you to sit or use your hands.
- Listening to music can provide a great source of entertainment.
- If you are packing alone, consider calling a friend over for company.
- Use a hands free Bluetooth to speak on the phone.
People often want to give themselves a big reward for accomplishing an entire task, but you should reward yourself for the completion of subtasks as well. Look at each room as its own task, worthy of reward upon completion. This reward could be a small snack or a short walk outside. You could even pour yourself a small glass of wine if you won’t be driving any time soon.
Whatever you do, keep your reward short and don’t let yourself enjoy your small rewards until each task is complete. Plan a larger reward waiting for you when everything has been packed away in the proper box, such as a night out with a friend. With all the work that goes into packing, the best reward may be a good night’s rest.
Call American Moving and Storage
Need packing assistance or want someone to handle the whole packing process for you? Call American Moving and Storage at 912-401-0362 to learn more about our professional packing, crating, moving, and storage services. Let us help take the stress out of your move!
Additional articles you may find helpful: